How To Prepare Ikokore
Hiya my chefs and cheflets, who wants to learn how to prepare authentic Ikokore??? I know so many people who would trek from UK to Nigeria just to have a taste of this. IF you want to surprise your ijebu parents or friends, make them Ikokore!
- Knorr Cube
- Water Yam
- Ground Crayfish
- Chopped Fresh Pepper
- Pieces of Beef
- Pieces of Chicken
- Dried Fish or Smoked Catfish
- Cut Water yam in chunks, this makes it easier for you to grate
- Peel water yam, rinse and grate into a bowl. This is the hard part and I don’t like grating wateryam because it is slimy. You have to be careful not to cut yourself.
- In a pot, boil water and add palm oil, add your pieces of meat and fishes and all the obstacles you like, add crayfish too and blended pepper add salt and bouillon cube and salt, just a bit. Allow to boil
- When it is boiling, take out the pieces of fish/meat etc as many as you can, if you don’t do this, when the Ikokore is done cooking the pieces of fish/beef will be stuck at the bottom of the pot
- After taking out the fishes and beef, add a bit of bouillon cube and some salt to the grated wateryam and mix it, because it is going to be in lumps you want it to have some taste.
- Start adding lumps of wateryam to the boiling pot (if the water is hot enough the balls of wateryam should float)
- Cover and allow to cook for about 10 minutes,
- Now add the pieces of fish/beef you took out earlier and sprinkle on some ground crayfish and chopped fresh peppers (ata rodo). This gives it a lot of flavour.
- you don’t need to mix the ikokore when cooking at all. Just let it cook.