Fun Facts about the Yoruba Culture
What do YOU know about the Yoruba culture. At ajapaworld we believe in embracing culture and learning what we can about all the different cultures. But today we will focus on the Yorubas.
- The language of the Yorubas, known as Yoruba, belongs to the Congo-Kordofanian language family. Yoruba as a language has many dialects, but most of its speakers are able to understand each other.
- The Yoruba constitute over 35 million people in total with majority of this population from Nigeria. The Yorubas make up 21% of the Nigerian population.
- According to the CIA World Fact book, the Yoruba are one of the largest ethnic groups in Africa.
- Traditional childbirth in Yorubaland does not support anyone younger than the mother to be present at the birth.
- When a child is born in a traditional Yoruba society, the infant is taken to the backyard with the umbilical cord bound tightly with thread before it is cut. A naming ceremony is held after 8 days.