FUN FACTS ABOUT THE SUN
In Nigeria, it feels like the sun is always out because we are always hot! But what do we really know about the sun?
- Over one million Earth’s could fit inside the Sun.
- The Sun is almost a perfect sphere.
- The Sun rotates in the opposite direction to Earth with the Sun rotating from west to east instead of east to west like Earth.
- Temperatures inside the Sun can reach 15 million degrees Celsius. Energy is generated through nuclear fusion in the Sun’s core – this is when hydrogen converts to helium – and because objects generally expand, the Sun would explode like an enormous bomb if it wasn’t for its tremendous gravitational pull.
- Because of the Sun’s huge influence on Earth, many early cultures saw the Sun as a deity or god. For example, Ancient Egyptians had a sun god called Ra while in Aztec mythology there is a sun god named Tonatiuh.