FUN FACTS ABOUT AFRICA
Nigeria is a country in a continent in Africa. But how much do we know about Africa?
- Africa makes up about 15% of the world’s population. The continents diversity supports over 1,500 different languages which represent about a quarter of the world’s languages which are spoken only in Africa.
- Africa’s Sahara is the world’s largest desert.
- Africa is home to the world’s largest mammal – the African elephant.
- The river Nile is the longest river in the world. It is usually associated with Egypt, but only 22% of the Nile’s course runs through Egypt. The rest flows through Tanzania, Burundi, Rwanda, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Kenya, Uganda, South Sudan, Ethiopia, Sudan.
- Africa’s Lake Victoria is one of the wonders of the world. It forms the largest lake in Africa and the second largest freshwater lake in the world, but it also contains the largest sheet of falling water in the world, in terms of area.