Five Fun Facts about the Tortoise
Ajapa is a tortoise and he is especially wise because tortoises can live up to 150 years, which gives them plenty of time to learn new things!
Here are five other interesting facts about the tortoise:
- Remember how Ajapa broke his shell? The shell of a tortoise is made from 60 different bones that are all connected.
- Tortoises are herbivores. This means that they eat mainly grass, fruits and vegetables. However, some tortoises will eat meat when they come across it and Ajapa likes his Ogbono and Efo with plenty of meat!
- Tortoises hide their limbs into their shell to protect themselves from animals that want to hurt them.
- The female tortoise is usually larger than the male tortoise.
- Tortoises hibernate during winter months. This means that when it is cold, the tortoise and his family will find somewhere warm and sleep for a really long time. Luckily for Ajapa, he lives in Nigeria where it is hot hot hot!